Menai Suspension Bridge

menai suspension bridge-5179

In 1819, a civil engineer called Thomas Telford began working on ambitious improvements to journey between London and the port of Holyhead. Recognising the danger – and to travellers that crossing the Straits involved, Telford designed a groundbreaking piece of civil engineering – the Menai Bridge.

Completed on 30 January 1826, the Menai Bridge was a triumph of civil engineering – the biggest suspension bridge in the world at the time! Sixteen huge chains held up 579 foot of deck, allowing 100 feet of clear space beneath. This allowed tall sailing ships navigating the seaway to pass underneath, whilst spanning the Straits at its narrowest point.

The Menai Bridge not only identified Telford as a civil engineering superhero, it also dramatically reduced the time and danger it took to travel from London to Holyhead. Along with Telford’s other improvements to the road, the journey time was cut 36 hours to 27.

Information courtesy: http://menaibridges.co.uk/mbhistory.php

Ruins

baron hill corridor-04271

Corridor in the Service Wing at the abandoned Baron Hill Mansion on Anglesey.

Baron Hill is an estate in Beaumaris, Anglesey, named after the hill on which it stands. It was established in 1618 by Sir Richard Bulkeley, as the seat of the influential Bulkeley family , who were originally from Cheshire, until William Bulkeley was appointed Deputy Constable of Beaumaris Castle. He then married one of the daughters of Gwilym ap Gruffydd ap Gwylim, and began the accumulation of land and public offices, which eventually lead to the Bulkeley family being one of the largest landowners in Anglesey.

The house was built in 1618 during the reign of James the 1st and was re-modelled in the Neo-Palladian style in 1776.

King Edward VII visited Baron Hill and had tea on the terrace in 1907. Shortly after this, during WW1, death duties soaked up the family fortune and made it impossible for the family (by then called Williams-Bulkeley) to continue to maintain the house. They were forced to move into more modest accommodation nearby.

Baron Hill was then used for storage until WWII, when it was converted into a billet for Polish soldiers. Apparently the old house was so cold at night that the Poles burnt down part of the building in the hope that they would be transferred to warmer accommodation, but this backfired on them, as they were re-housed in colder wooden huts in the gardens.

Underground Hip Hop Crew

baron hill anglesey-04215

Related to the Wombles possibly? Graffiti seen at the derelict Baron Hill mansion on Anglesey.

Baron Hill is an estate in Beaumaris, Anglesey, named after the hill on which it stands. It was established in 1618 by Sir Richard Bulkeley, as the seat of the influential Bulkeley family , who were originally from Cheshire, until William Bulkeley was appointed Deputy Constable of Beaumaris Castle. He then married one of the daughters of Gwilym ap Gruffydd ap Gwylim, and began the accumulation of land and public offices, which eventually lead to the Bulkeley family being one of the largest landowners in Anglesey.

The house was built in 1618 during the reign of James the 1st and was re-modelled in the Neo-Palladian style in 1776.

King Edward VII visited Baron Hill and had tea on the terrace in 1907. Shortly after this, during WW1, death duties soaked up the family fortune and made it impossible for the family (by then called Williams-Bulkeley) to continue to maintain the house. They were forced to move into more modest accommodation nearby.

Baron Hill was then used for storage until WWII, when it was converted into a billet for Polish soldiers. Apparently the old house was so cold at night that the Poles burnt down part of the building in the hope that they would be transferred to warmer accommodation, but this backfired on them, as they were re-housed in colder wooden huts in the gardens.